Advertisement

The use of In spite of, Despite and Instead of

The use of In spite of, Despite and Instead of In spite of / Despite (prep)
(notwithstanding / regardless of)
Usage :
In spite of / despite:
+ noun
+ verb + -ing
+ the fact that.
The above words are used to connect two contrary acts. These words show the contrast (totally opposite ideas) between the acts.
Examples
He is labourous. He did not get good marks.
In spite of being labourious, he did not get good marks.
Despite being labourious, he did not get good marks.

You are my friend. You cheated me.
In spite of being my friend, you cheated me.
Despite being my friend, you cheated me.

I hope no one will support you. You have money.
I hope no one will support you in spite of money.
I hope no one will support you despite money.

She had ample opportunity to talk to the boss. She did not talk to him.
In spite of ample opportunity to talk to the boss, she did not.
Despite ample opportunity to talk to the boss, she did not.


Many people are successful despite the fact that they do not have a university degree.
Many people are successful despite that they do not have a university degree.
Many people are successful despite they do not have a university degree.

The shower head. It worked fine despite how it looks.(despite its looks)
In spite of what you did to me, I am ready to help you.
I will do this work despite what you say.
They are assisting you in spite of what you have said.
What was it about him that she responded to in spite of what she knew about him?







Instead of
in place of (someone or something) / as an alternative to
You may go instead of me.
I am performing this act instead of my friend.
Will you have tae instead of coffee.
You have used ‘despite of’ instead of ‘despite’.
You must do something instead of complaining.
We should stay home instead of going out at the time when corona is spreading so fast.
If you want to practice for English language and grammar, you may click the below link:
www.aspenglish.com

The use of in spite of,The use of despite,The difference between in spite of and despite,in spite of meaning,despite and in spite of difference,The difference between in spite of and instead of,The use of instead of,instead of meaning,In spite of or inspite of,

Post a Comment

0 Comments