Advertisement

Ancient China

Ancient China How I put together a history unit study has been a process I have honed over the years. I like an enriching unit filled with books, projects and hands-on activities. I look for varied material so it will appeal to multiple ages, grades, abilities and skill sets. I love picture books. I feel they are an undervalued and overlooked resource in education beyond very young elementary, but I will incorporate picture books well into upper elementary and middle school. I include some non-fiction books as well. These are the kind of books that tend to be a bit drier, somewhat textbookish and readily available at your local library. I used to check them out from the library, but now I use our educational funding to buy these books. Have you been to the kitchen for your units? It's a great way to engage the children and cultivate a love for the lessons in a meaningful and lasting way. Plus food tastes good! And we all have to eat, so why not include it in your studies for a memorable lesson. Hands-on activities is a must for me. But sometimes there aren't pre-made kits (which I love and utilize as often as possible), so I often look for a craft or activity book to add to our units. That way, I can source the materials to make our own projects and crafts. Often I upgrade the materials and project so it becomes a lasting project as I really dislike disposable crafts. And when that's not possible, I try to make things we can easily recycle. With this particular unit, I found some amazing Great Wall of China construction kits as well as some clay warrior projects. Those kits are well worth it because they contain materials and projects I can't easily recreate. Historical fiction is also a must in a history unit. I find historical fiction to be a great gateway resource into the subject matter. Often historical fiction bring to life a historical period with engaging characters and storylines. You can get a feel for the history in a thrilling novel and often you learn more deeply about a historical event through the medium of storytelling. If historical fiction are available for your unit, I highly recommend you substitute with biographies. Or do both! Biographies are connection makers. When you learn about a historical figure, you become connected to that person. You either start to admire or despise the person and that creates conversation. When possible, I like to include an outing to a museum or exhibition that complements our unit. Sometimes this is a way to inspire and start the unit, to celebrate and culminate the ending or happens outside the unit entirely because it didn't coordinate 'perfectly'. However you do, museums, plays, exhibitions and road trips are going to be some of the most profound and memorable educational experiences.

Check out the Lesson Plans for our Silk Road Unit:


Chinese Brush Calligraphy Supplies video:


Check out the Silk Road Blog Post


Check out the Marco Polo and Genghis Khan Blog Post


Check out the China Blog Post


Check out the Islamic Empire Blog Post


Check out the video playlist for the Silk Road Unit


Check out the video playlist for the Marco Polo and Genghis Khan Unit


Check out the video playlist for the China unit


Check out the video playlist for Islamic Empire unit



Find me here:




homeschool,homeschooling,

Post a Comment

0 Comments